Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Daily 5 - Word Work

In preparation for the new year, I wanted to get my Word Work centers all set.  When I did work work in Kindergarten, I felt like I was in a never ending race to find new centers for the kids to keep up with the new concepts that were being introduced, and by the end of the year, my word work shelf was an unorganized mess with way too many choices!  So, I wanted to keep it simple this year, using a set of centers that could work all year long, allowing kids to practice their own individual list of words.  But even that might get a little too boring, so I threw in a few extras that students could work through during the year or that would be based on vocabulary from other units being studied.



After scouring the internet and looking back at the centers I had done in Kindergarten, this is the list I came up with (there are other centers that I was thinking of including, but we also give word work options for homework, so centers such as rainbow writing are ideal for that purpose, and are not included in the centers used in class):

Individual - using spelling list
-Whiteboards
-Stamping Words
-Word Worth
-Place Value Words
-Scrabble Spelling
-Type It
-Words in Words

Partner - using spelling list
-Sign Language
-Secret Codes

Individual - no list needed
-Boggle
-Shake It Up
-Cup Stacking
-Mystery Words

Partner - no list needed
-Pyramid Pile Up

I ordered a set of replacement Scrabble tiles from the Hasbro website, which was $6.50, and I am getting a few old keyboards from old computers at school.  I already have whiteboards and letter stamps, so the only other thing I will need to buy is plastic disposable cups for the cup stacking center.


I put the entire set of Word Work Centers, which includes all of the printables, recording sheets, instructions and reference sheets on my TpT site!


Word Work Cover and Secret Codes recording sheet


 Word Worth recording sheet and Place Value Words reference chart


 Boggle letter tiles to hang on wall and Mystery Words to be cut up and placed in envelopes

Mystery Words recording sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment