Sunday, September 22, 2013

Spelling Headaches Finally Solved

It's always a challenge moving to a new grade level, and I've been feeling like I'm trying to dig my way out of a hole ever since the year started.  All of the wonderful plans I had put together in my head, and in some cases on paper, finally had their chance to be implemented, and while some of them worked out well, some of them didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Spelling has been my biggest nemesis so far this year, but I think I have finally gained the upper hand! Last year I continued using Words Their Way, but I just wasn't happy with it in the end.  My summer planning put me on a path to use a modified version of Spelling Connections so that students would have their own, individualized list of words, practice with using words in context (something I just couldn't get to work for me with the way we were using WTW), and get extra practice with grammar skills.  I used the WTW spelling inventory at the start of the year, and I just couldn't figure out how to mesh the missing spelling patterns for some kids with the lessons in the book.  So, a new plan was needed.

I finally decided on using both programs (Spelling Connections and WTW), alternating between lists each week, but the details were still fuzzy on how exactly to implement everything.  First, I had to go back to the original assessments and place each student at an appropriate spot in both programs.  Out of 10 kids (yes, 10... it's part of the reason that I CAN do this!) I have 4 groups in SC and 6 groups in WTW.  I decided to use the SC program the first week since it was easier to wrap my head around, and the lists were already premade, which made it easier to get everyone started with Spelling City.  Thankfully, that all went smoothly!

No matter how many times I thought I'd had a plan for the WTW weeks, I just kept finding problems with my solutions.  When I left work on Friday, I knew that next week would be a WTW week, and I still didn't have the details sorted out on how to implement it smoothly! After hours of working on it this weekend, I FINALLY have a plan!

I started going through the WTW program and creating lists of 15 words from each sort that represent all of the different spelling patterns being covered, including some of the extra words that are listed in the book but are not part of the sorts.  I then double checked my lists against the different lessons that use those patterns in the SC book and made any necessary changes.  Each list is being printed out and put on a 4x6 index card with a heading like WW Sort 19 (Within Words Sort 19) or SA Sort 4 (Syllables and Affixes Sort 4).  The lists are also color coded by which book they came from to help us keep them organized.  Those short headings will then be used for the Spelling City lists, and hopefully will be easy enough for the kids to remember.

So, on Monday morning, each child will get their sort card (they may have to share with a friend) so that they can copy their 15 spelling pattern words into their agenda.  I will meet with each student/group to discuss their sort.  They will then add any words they misspelled from last week's test to their list, followed by any words on their misspelled words card (which is where I've been writing down any words they have misspelled in their writing).  If they still have spaces to go in their list of 20 words, I have a few math vocabulary words they can choose from.

Their homework/classwork will be from a spelling packet where I've broken the activities down into groups... Practicing the Pattern, What Does It Mean?, Break It Down, Playing With Words, and Just for Fun!  That way, I can assign work based on what they need... spelling patterns, vocabulary, etc.  They will also be able to use Spelling City for practice, although they will have to go in and practice their list in two parts... the WTW sort words and their individual list.

Whew!

An example of the WTW lists I am printing for the 4x6 cards

No comments:

Post a Comment